- The earliest fossil ancestor of the horse, which was a small forest animal of the Eocene epoch, with four toes on the front feet and three on the back.
More example sentences
- Genus Hyracotherium, family Equidae
- The hyracotherium was a small fox-sized four-toed creature, similar to the modern day hyrax.
- Scientists now believe that the hyracotherium ate meat and lived in the forest.
- A close look at the teeth of hyracotherium, reveals a simple pattern of bumps and ridges on their chewing surfaces.
modern Latin: from hyraco- (combining form from hyrax) + Greek thērion 'wild animal'.
More definitions of hyracotheriumDefinition of hyracotherium in:
- The US English dictionary