A small herbivorous mammal with a compact body and a very short tail, found in arid country in Africa and Arabia. The nearest relatives to hyraxes are the elephants and other subungulates.
- Family Procaviidae and order Hyracoidea: three genera and several species
More example sentences
- The hyrax - elephant - sirenian core is well-accepted on morphological grounds.
- Less certain are manatees, aardvarks, and hyraxes.
- So do wombats, hyraxes, aye-ayes, and lagomorphs, to give a few examples chosen from modern mammals.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek hurax 'shrew-mouse'.
Definition of hyrax in:
- The US English dictionary