Definition of hyssop in English:
1A small bushy aromatic plant of the mint family, the bitter minty leaves of which are used in cookery and herbal medicine.
- Hyssopus officinalis, family Labiatae
- Herbs you can use in the bath are bay leaf, chamomile, hyssop, lemon balm and lime flowers.
- Sweet Annie, anise hyssop, and feverfew make good fillers.
- They come for the butterfly weed, lilacs, echinacea and anise hyssop, and especially for the white, lavender and pink butterfly bushes.
2(In biblical use) a wild shrub of uncertain identity whose twigs were used for sprinkling in ancient Jewish rites of purification.
- The hyssop is a lowly shrub; and God must stoop low to smell the incense of Calvary.
- The cedar tree is the highest of all the trees, and the hyssop is the lowest.
- Cleanse my hidden mind with the hyssop of your grace, for I draw near to the Holy of Holies of your mysteries.
Definition of hyssop in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan