noun (plural hysterectomies)
- A surgical operation to remove all or part of the womb: she had to have a hysterectomy [mass noun]: the belief that hysterectomy affects bowel functionMore example sentences
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy may help to avoid a laparotomy, but urinary tract injury is a genuine concern.
- Gynaecologists were free to choose a surgical hysterectomy technique.
- A hysterectomy is a commonly performed operation to remove the uterus (womb).
late 19th century: from Greek hustera 'womb' + -ectomy.
More definitions of hysterectomyDefinition of hysterectomy in:
- The US English dictionary