noun (plural ibises)
- A large wading bird with a long downcurved bill, long neck, and long legs.
More example sentences
- Family Threskiornithidae: several genera and species, including the sacred ibis
- Inland species may associate with herons, egrets, storks, ibises, and spoonbills.
- The couple collected breeds of birds from every continent, including pheasants, herons, ibis, kestrels and buzzards.
- Lismore Lake provides a variety of habitat for swamp hen, ibis, egrets, and herons as well as many small waders.
late Middle English: via Latin from Greek.
More definitions of ibisDefinition of ibis in:
- The US English dictionary