- An axe used by climbers for cutting footholds in ice, having a head with one pointed and one flattened end, and a spike at the foot.More example sentences
- By stepping down hard I actually made a stable foothold, and then used my ice axe to probe the next foothold.
- But, despite traversing steep alpine regions, he did not pack crampons, an ice axe or an emergency distress beacon.
- In the depths of winter, I also need an ice axe and crampons and food and water in case of emergencies.
More definitions of ice axeDefinition of ice axe in:
- The US English dictionary