1Either of two succulent plants which are widely cultivated for their flowers:
- A South African plant which has leaves covered with glistening fluid-filled hairs that resemble ice crystals (genera Mesembryanthemum and Dorotheanthus, family Aizoaceae, in particular M. crystallinum). An Asian stonecrop which bears domed heads of tiny pink flowers (Sedum spectabile, family Crassulaceae)..
- The ice plant's lime green foliage contrasts strongly with prickly silver mats of neighboring pinks.
- Expression of McHAK2 and McHAK3 was stimulated in leaves of the ice plant in response to high salinity.
- If you want to attract butterflies to your garden in late summer and autumn, look no further than the ice plant, a perennial which has pretty domed heads of pink flowers above thick, succulent leaves.
2A machine or installation for making ice artificially.
- Opening the ice plant on the Harbour of Inishturk, Minister Coughlan said that it was a major step forward for the island's fishermen.
- Later on a new ice plant was built for Lake Simcoe Ice at North Toronto right next to the main line.
- Dingle harbour board are currently in negotiations with BIM and Kerry County Council on the future of the former ice plant on Strand Street.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ice plant
Definition of ice plant in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.