Definition of ice plant in English:
1Either of two succulent plants which are widely cultivated for their flowers:
- ● A South African plant which has leaves covered with glistening fluid-filled hairs that resemble ice crystals (genera Mesembryanthemum and Dorotheanthus, family Aizoaceae, in particular M. crystallinum). ● An Asian stonecrop which bears domed heads of tiny pink flowers (Sedum spectabile, family Crassulaceae).
- The ice plant's lime green foliage contrasts strongly with prickly silver mats of neighboring pinks.
- Expression of McHAK2 and McHAK3 was stimulated in leaves of the ice plant in response to high salinity.
- If you want to attract butterflies to your garden in late summer and autumn, look no further than the ice plant, a perennial which has pretty domed heads of pink flowers above thick, succulent leaves.
2A machine or installation for making ice artificially.
- Opening the ice plant on the Harbour of Inishturk, Minister Coughlan said that it was a major step forward for the island's fishermen.
- Later on a new ice plant was built for Lake Simcoe Ice at North Toronto right next to the main line.
- Dingle harbour board are currently in negotiations with BIM and Kerry County Council on the future of the former ice plant on Strand Street.
Definition of ice plant in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.