- 1 (also ichneumon wasp or ichneumon fly) A slender parasitic wasp with long antennae, which deposits its eggs in, on, or near the larvae of other insects.
More example sentences
- Family Ichneumonidae, order Hymenoptera: numerous genera and species
- For him, the fiend that shook his faith was the ichneumon wasp, which lays its eggs inside the larvae of the horntail wasp.
- They belong to the order Hymenoptera, which includes bees, wasps, sawflies, and ichneumons.
- The Persians did not worship wood and stone with the Greeks, nor the ibis and ichneumon with the Egyptians.
late 15th century (in sense 2): via Latin from Greek ikhneumōn 'tracker', from ikhneuein 'to track', from ikhnos 'track, footstep'.
More definitions of ichneumonDefinition of ichneumon in:
- The US English dictionary