Definition of ichthyology in English:
The branch of zoology that deals with fishes.
- Zoogeography integrates a variety of disciplines within ichthyology (ecology, physiology, systematics, paleontology, geology and biogeography) to explain patterns of fish distribution.
- The histories of botany, ornithology, ichthyology etc. follow similar patterns.
- There is something for everyone, whether their interest is in electronics, engineering, palaeontology, biology, genetics, chemistry, ichthyology, supersonics, space, aliens or anything else of - or indeed not of - this planet.
- Example sentences
- Instead, each section introduces important ichthyological concepts and terminology, as well as numerous examples from a diverse range of ray-finned fish families.
- Only the Curator of Fishes was able to report that the dry portion of the ichthyological collection was in good condition, but a few years later, that too had become infested with insects.
- As an imaginative, non-violent and funny option for a core under-10 audience, however, it's an ichthyological treat.
- Example sentences
- Such is the case with the larva in the photograph, tentatively identified by several ichthyologists as Thalassenchelys coheni.
- Capelin are extremely numerous and more commercially important than most of the other species in this paper, and so may have received greater attention from ichthyologists over the years.
- One of the main challenges faced by ichthyologists hoping to discover and document the fish species in very big South American rivers is to devise ways to survey less accessible parts of the channels.
Definition of ichthyology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan