(also ichthyosaurus /ˌɪkθɪəˈsɔːrəs/)
- A fossil marine reptile of the Mesozoic era, resembling a dolphin with a long pointed head, four flippers, and a vertical tail.
More example sentences
- Order Ichthyosauria, subclass Diapsida: numerous genera, including Ichthyosaurus
- They included the great marine reptiles such as ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs, but also smaller creatures such as ammonites and belemnites - the precursor's of today's squid.
- Vertebrate remains include isolated skeletal elements and tooth plates of palaeonisciform and actinopterygian fish, as well as body fossils of ichthyosaurs and other marine reptiles.
- More distantly related to true dinosaurs were the marine plesiosaurs and ichthyosaurs.
mid 19th century: from ichthyo- 'fish' + Greek sauros 'lizard'.
More definitions of ichthyosaurDefinition of ichthyosaur in:
- The US English dictionary