Definition of iconoclasm in English:
1The action of attacking or assertively rejecting cherished beliefs and institutions or established values and practices.
- Elite law schools cherish robust debate, iconoclasm, and arguing issues from all sides, right?
- Finally, Middle East specialist and translator Fred Reed explores the rise of militant iconoclasm in Syria in his new non-fiction study Shattered Images.
- Equal parts traditionalism, irony and iconoclasm, thirtysomethings' universe - including work and leisure - gravitates around the home.
2The rejection or destruction of religious images as heretical; the doctrine of iconoclasts.
- The staff stands for Aaron and his power without mimetically representing him, as the painting seems paradoxically to observe the Hebraic ethos of iconoclasm that the Jewish leader first violated.
- Though there was iconoclasm at the beginning, as zealots decapitated statues and the like in temples and shrines, this soon passed as sultans cracked down on it.
- Islamic iconoclasm is rooted in Jewish iconoclasm, historically.
late 18th century: from iconoclast, on the pattern of pairs such as enthusiast, enthusiasm.
Definition of iconoclasm in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan