Definition of iconology in English:
1The study of visual imagery and its symbolism and interpretation, especially in social or political terms.
- While iconography is a descriptive and classificatory discipline, iconology is an interpretative method, which aims to contextualize works of art culturally and explore their possible meanings.
- One aim of this essay is to address the issue of interpretations of nineteenth-century art by considering the limits of certain interpretative methods associated with iconography and iconology.
- Bustling iconology notwithstanding, Ji's pictures are not exclusively literary or even representational.
1.1Symbolism: the iconology of a work of art
More example sentences
- This colonial propagandist iconology was equally exploited in media such as postcards, posters, paintings, advertisements, newspapers, magazines, cartoons, and film.
- The word means image, but also copy, and the iconology of 9/11, unlike the real thing which was utterly singular, drew on past images to guide instinctive response.
- If they shared this iconology by more than pure chance, wouldn't the Native Americans have shown some other signs of Arabic influence when the Europeans got there?
- iconological adjective
- Example sentences
- They have been chosen for iconological rather than aesthetic reasons.
- In the Grand Inquisitor's iconological alchemy, three questions dissolve into three obraza (that is, ‘images’ or ‘icons’), and yet the revelation bursting forth from within these images is contradiction.
- Yet while substantial evaluation of the iconological approach makes up Chapter Two, it is only as a curious sort of postscript that Burke presents a variety of recent theoretical avenues available to historians.
Definition of iconology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.