Definition of icosahedron in English:
noun (plural icosahedra /-drə/ or icosahedrons)
A solid figure with twenty plane faces, especially equilateral triangular ones.
- Four more Archimedeans appear in the Short book on the five regular solids: the truncated cube, the truncated octahedron, the truncated icosahedron and the truncated dodecahedron.
- One of Plato's perfect solids, the icosahedron has 20 triangular faces.
- Hypsicles relates that his father and Basilides studied a treatise by Apollonius on a dodecahedron and an icosahedron in the same sphere and decided that Apollonius's treatment was not satisfactory.
- Example sentences
- You may note that the spheres sit more or less on the vertices of an icosahedron, which is why this configuration is called the icosahedral arrangement.
- Thus, the combination of a spherical quadratic boundary potential and icosahedral rotational symmetry conditions maintained the initial distribution of solvation waters at the exterior boundary.
- In order to simulate a calcium ion located on a symmetry axis under icosahedral boundary conditions, it was necessary to develop a single-atom model that conforms to the symmetry requirements.
Definition of icosahedron in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan