Definition of ideograph in English:
Another term for ideogram.
- Then ten years of school for learning the first thousand Chinese kanji ideographs, with thousands more to go.
- Later to create more words, symbols were added to pictographs to form ideographs.
- In Afrikan Alphabets, the author introduces a number of ideographs, pictographs and scripts devised and designed by Africans to express and represent a voice sound, a word, or an idea.
- Example sentences
- Their system was an integrated technology of stylus, clay, and cuneiform that was at first pictographic and became in due course ideographic and syllabographic.
- Object-naming tasks employ pictures, and kanji characters are ideographic and sometimes pictorial in nature.
- The sad truth is that even chimpanzees and rats can learn to read simple ideographic language.
Pronunciation: /ɪdɪə(ʊ)ˈɡrafɪk/ /ʌɪdɪə(ʊ)ˈɡrafɪk/adjective
Mid 19th century: from Greek idea 'form' + -graph.
Definition of ideograph in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.