- An instrument the whole of which vibrates to produce a sound when struck, shaken, or scraped, such as a bell, gong, or rattle. Compare with membranophone.More example sentences
- In organology, percussion instruments are divided into membranophones (those on which sound is produced by a vibrating membrane) and idiophones (instruments of hard, solid material, e.g. cymbals and xylophones).
- The bones are one of several types of clappers, all of which are concussion idiophones and are classified as percussion musical instruments.
- Thus the kora and balo are played exclusively by male jeli, and karinya, an idiophone, is played only by jelimuso (female bards).
More definitions of idiophoneDefinition of idiophone in:
- The US English dictionary