noun (plural idiot savants or idiots savants pronunc. same)
- 1A person who has a mental disability or learning difficulties but is extremely gifted in a particular way, such as the performing of feats of memory or calculation.More example sentences
- The character is a form of idiot savant who combines the disability with the compensating special powers.
- The two brothers, one a genius and the other an idiot savant, generate, in their stream of consciousness, scatologically poetic and gloriously energetic comic prose that leaps off the page.
- There ought to be a phrase - the opposite of idiot savant - for highly intelligent people who are also bloody fools.
- 1.1A person who is extremely unworldly but displays natural wisdom and insight.More example sentences
- Whatever his motives, North's crusade has made him the idiot savant of big business.
- It might be said (rather than argued) that only a literary idiot savant like me would need a review to convince me that a graphic novel was worth reading and gave the Novel in general a powerful new direction.
- She may be illiterate and vapid, but next to him, she's a regular idiot savant marketing genius who cashed in on her B-list celebrity the moment it was about to expire.
French, literally 'knowledgeable idiot'.
More definitions of idiot savantDefinition of idiot savant in:
- The US English dictionary