Definition of idiot savant in English:
noun (plural idiot savants or idiots savants pronounced same)
1A person who has a mental disability or learning difficulties but is extremely gifted in a particular way, such as the performing of feats of memory or calculation.
- The character is a form of idiot savant who combines the disability with the compensating special powers.
- The two brothers, one a genius and the other an idiot savant, generate, in their stream of consciousness, scatologically poetic and gloriously energetic comic prose that leaps off the page.
- There ought to be a phrase - the opposite of idiot savant - for highly intelligent people who are also bloody fools.
1.1A person who is extremely unworldly but displays natural wisdom and insight.
- Whatever his motives, North's crusade has made him the idiot savant of big business.
- It might be said (rather than argued) that only a literary idiot savant like me would need a review to convince me that a graphic novel was worth reading and gave the Novel in general a powerful new direction.
- She may be illiterate and vapid, but next to him, she's a regular idiot savant marketing genius who cashed in on her B-list celebrity the moment it was about to expire.
French, literally 'knowledgeable idiot'.
Definition of idiot savant in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan