- 1The worship of idols.More example sentences
- It is the difference between pagan idolatry and true worship of our Creator and Redeemer, the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Idols are worshipped by various religions, while idolatry is blasphemy to others.
- Worship in truth is the antidote to idolatry, while worship in spirit is the antidote to hypocrisy.
- 1.1Extreme admiration, love, or reverence for something or someone: we must not allow our idolatry of art to obscure issues of political significanceMore example sentences
- Women, especially, but men too, are often tempted by a kind of self-immolating romance that is much closer to idolatry than to real love.
- Condemning the ‘modern idolatry of lust, greed, power and pride’, Dr Hope said a safe and secure world would only result if humans engaged in the challenge to look again at the way we live our lives.
- NME went so far as to imply that you'd better catch The Vines before frontman Craig Nicholls took his Kurt Cobain idolatry to its logical extreme.
Middle English: from Old French idolatrie, based on Greek eidōlolatreia, from eidōlon (see idol) + -latreia 'worship'.