- Fabric made using an Indonesian decorative technique in which warp or weft threads, or both, are tie-dyed before weaving: [as modifier]: ikat weaving [count noun]: silk ikatsMore example sentences
- The Indonesian touch comes in material similar to ikat (hand woven cloth) and natural colors like brown, red, beige and green.
- Not far away was a market offering everything under the sun, from dried fish to hand-woven textiles, especially ikat.
- The duchess changed into a porcelain blue silk dress with hand painted ikat design, hand embroidered with gold thread work for the religious blessing.
1930s: Malay, literally 'fasten, tie'.
More definitions of ikatDefinition of ikat in:
- The US English dictionary