- A clay mineral of a group resembling micas, with a lattice structure which does not expand on absorption of water.More example sentences
- Common clays are usually mixtures of clay minerals such as illite, smectite, and kaolinite, together with fine silica and other minor constituents.
- The clay minerals illite, chlorite and montmorillonite were identified within the palaeosols by X-ray diffraction.
- Clay minerals are mainly illite and chlorite, with only traces of smectite, vermiculite and kaolinite.
More definitions of illiteDefinition of illite in:
- The US English dictionary