Definition of illustrate in English:
- To illustrate the Book of Ruth, Merian chose to represent Boaz and Ruth at the threshing floor.
- Photographic picture books, illustrating New York and other subjects, proliferated; a number of these featured the work of the new documentary photographers.
- John Hodgkiss edited the diverse selection of reportage and portrait photographs illustrating the book.
- When Touch of Evil was first announced, a documentary explaining and illustrating the changes that resulted from Welles' memo was to have been included with the DVD.
- One or two things seem to me underplayed (the great baroque invention of the Duet, for example), but thought has gone into explaining and illustrating most genres.
- So let's look at another example as we explain and illustrate the general method.
- One example will serve to illustrate how comprehensive and penetrating his discernment is.
- Three examples can serve to illustrate how a choice of ruler was made and the thinking behind the resources made available to him.
- Clearly, this is a grossly simplified example but it serves to illustrate how such a solution is very open to sabotage.
early 16th century (in the sense 'illuminate, shed light on'): from Latin illustrat- 'lit up', from the verb illustrare, from in- 'upon' + lustrare 'illuminate'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.