1Relating to the ancient region of Illyria: Illyrian tribes
More example sentences
- The name ‘Albania’ is derived from an ancient Illyrian tribe, the Albanoi, who inhabited part of modern-day Albania from around 1225 BC to AD 200.
- Half a century before Christ the Thracians occupied Hungary east of the Danube, while Hungary west of the Danube was the home of Celtic and Illyrian tribes.
- Eventually, the Aitolians had to be recalled to help their former enemies in Epirus against Demetrios's savage Illyrian raiders.
1A native or inhabitant of ancient Illyria.
- The first known inhabitants were the Illyrians, followed by the Celts in the fourth century, and the Romans a century after that.
- The national ideology insists on an unequivocal ethnic relationship with the ancient Illyrians.
- Albanians descend from the ancient Illyrians.
2 [mass noun] The branch of the Indo-European family of languages represented by modern Albanian.
- Whether the Albanian language stems from Illyrian or Thracian, both, or neither is a matter of contention.
Words that rhyme with IllyrianAssyrian, Syrian, Tyrian
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Il¦lyr|ian
Definition of Illyrian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.