1Existing only in the imagination: Chris had imaginary conversations with her
More example sentences
- How they coped with this transfer of power is a vital part of these imaginary conversations.
- To escape reality, I invented an imaginary world and began writing poetry.
- I bowed to an imaginary crowd and pretended to thank my parents and all who believed in me.
unreal, non-existent, fictional, fictitious, pretend, make-believe, mythical, mythological, legendary, storybook, fanciful, fantastic;
made-up, dreamed-up, invented, concocted, fabricated, fancied, the product of someone's imagination;
illusory, illusive, figmental, hallucinatory, phantasmal, phantasmic, a figment of someone's imagination;
dreamy, dreamlike, shadowy, unsubstantial, chimerical, ethereal;
virtual, notional, hypothetical, theoretical;
assumed, supposed, suppositious
2 Mathematics (Of a number or quantity) expressed in terms of the square root of a negative number (usually the square root of −1, represented by i or j). See also complex.
- What was most perplexing was that in using these subtle and imaginary numbers it was possible to solve cubic equations.
- The idea is based on an ingenious use of the properties of imaginary numbers.
- It also only worked, he noted, when certain imaginary parts of two complex numbers cancelled out.
- Example sentences
- Symbolically excluded, imaginarily plagued by the fury of vanishment, yet omnipresent, disgust marks the position of a tabooed reality: one that never stops returning to the field of the aesthetic in order once again to be ejected.
- For him, of course, a crucial analytical sleight of words is needed to disentangle this collapse of the symbolic ego ideal and the ideal ego fixed on the imaginarily loaded object.
- Her sapphire gaze traveled across the room as if watching a film of her own past imaginarily.
Late Middle English: from Latin imaginarius, from imago, imagin- 'image'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: im¦agin|ary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.