Definition of immaterialism in English:
The belief that matter has no objective existence.
- There is less agreement on Berkeley's argumentative approach to idealism and immaterialism and on the role of some of his specific arguments.
- In 1709 he issued An Essay towards a New Theory of Vision, followed in the next year by The Principles of Human Knowledge, the main exposition of his immaterialism.
- What had touched the world's hearts was the ethereal immaterialism of their secluded world and something primal in the music they sang.
- Example sentences
- He was an immaterialist: matter does not exist.
- Philonous needs to convince him (as Berkeley needed to convince his readers in both books) that a commonsensical philosophy could be built on an immaterialist foundation, that no one but a skeptic or atheist would ever miss matter.
- Rather, it's that the good arguments don't even get a hearing since they offer an immaterialist account, and immaterialist accounts can't really be knowledge.
Definition of immaterialism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.