Definition of immiseration in English:
Economic impoverishment: rapid modernization had an impact on the level of urban immiseration
More example sentences
- He predicted the growing immiseration and impoverishment of the working class in capitalist societies.
- Similar, if less sanguine, interpretations can be constructed around globalization, environmental agendas, and economic immiseration in the South.
- Firstly, the bulk of the population, which has long been suffering from neo-liberal policies and increasing immiseration, is now open to real social and economic alternatives.
- immiserate verb
- Example sentences
- Perhaps it's also a sly reference to the level of insanity required to embark on such a quixotic venture, one notorious for hobbling, immiserating and occasionally impoverishing even the proudest, toughest egos Hollywood has to offer.
- This a-historical machine will exploit and immiserate people on our behalf and exonerate us in the process.
- It is a human catastrophe that continues to immiserate and impoverish millions of people.
1940s: translating German Verelendung.
Definition of immiseration in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.