Not conforming to accepted standards of morality: unseemly and immoral behaviour
More example sentences
- Still, is it unethical or immoral to bring an extinct species back from the dead?
- Considered by most to be depraved and immoral, you are obsessed with sex.
- Sometimes we have to take the law into our own hands to expose the bases' illegal and immoral activities.
unethical, bad, morally wrong, wrongful, wicked, evil, unprincipled, unscrupulous, dishonourable, dishonest, unconscionable, iniquitous, disreputable, fraudulent, corrupt, depraved, vile, villainous, nefarious, base, unfair, underhand, devious; sinful, impure, unchaste, unvirtuous, shameless, degenerate, debauched, abandoned, dissolute, reprobate, perverted, indecent, lewd, licentious, wanton, bawdy, lustful, promiscuous, whorish
informal shady, low-down
British informal dodgy, crooked, not cricket
The words immoral and amoral are different in meaning: see amoral (usage).
- More example sentences
- Some define it using the term ‘murder,’ which generally means kill immorally or illegally; others define it using the term ‘kill,’ which doesn't carry that meaning.
- Most of us think of ourselves as moral people who try to do our best with our small failing (for a cigarette, or a beer), but few of us ever ponder to think that we may be prompting business to act immorally and unethically, if not illegally.
- I think the council have acted totally negligently and immorally throughout this whole upset.