noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
A technique for determining the location of an antigen (or antibody) in tissues by reaction with an antibody (or antigen) labelled with a fluorescent dye.
- Paired sera were tested using immunofluorescence or enzyme immunoassay methods to establish the serologic diagnosis.
- The resulting immunofluorescence images indicated antibody binding to the membrane through an increase in the intensity of the vesicle border upon the addition of the labeled antibody.
- This is consistent with the uniformly distributed receptors found with immunofluorescence labeling.
- Example sentences
- Untreated cells from the AF and TZ showed a cortical localization of actin as visualized by immunofluorescent labeling.
- The team used polymerase chain reaction technology and an immunofluorescent antibody test to identify the virus, and the scientists suspect that the disease originated from animals.
- Until recently, visualization of cytoskeletal filaments was mainly limited to immunofluorescent staining of fixed cells or fluorescent analog cytochemistry for living cells.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: im¦muno|fluor¦es¦cence
Definition of immunofluorescence in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.