Enclose or confine (someone) against their will: her brother was immured in a lunatic asylum
More example sentences
- The angry, obsessive, maddened father's reaction to this disaster is to immure her and her mother in their house, building more and more partition walls around them until finally they are imprisoned on a bed in a tiny space.
- It struck me strange that my mother from whose loving hands I had partaken many a sumptuous meal had been immured in the kitchen confines all along.
- He's able to create and be creative without immuring himself in a kind of misery.
- More example sentences
- It is about a 14th-century anchoress who after three years of immurement waiting for divine revelation which did not come, declares, as many have done, ‘there is no God’.
- Unfortunately, the coming of Shakuni, accompanying his sister to her life-long immurement in darkness in Hastinapura compelled by Bhishma, changed the entire completion of the situation.
- The glass of Amontillado he drinks is suggested by Poe's own narrative of morbid immurement.