- 1chiefly Medicine Pressed firmly together, in particular:More example sentences
- The impacted, partially air-filled material was seen in the distal esophagus.
- This maneuver adducts the fetal posterior shoulder in an attempt to rotate the shoulders out of the impacted position and into an oblique plane for delivery.
- Common examples of these latter disorders include disturbance of liver cell function by acute hepatitis and obstruction of the bile ducts by impacted gallstones.
- 1.1(Of a tooth) wedged between another tooth and the jaw.More example sentences
- An impacted tooth is at higher risk of cavities because they are often difficult to clean properly.
- In the past, removal of impacted wisdom teeth has been recommended even if the patient has not been experiencing problems.
- People who have impacted wisdom teeth that are not causing problems do not need to have them removed.
- 1.2(Of a fractured bone) having the parts crushed together.More example sentences
- Dr Johnson said this could be due to an impacted fracture, which did not always show up on x-rays, or a second fall.
- On closer inspection a radiologist's report confirmed an impacted fracture, but the report never reached Dr Blakeley.
- An impacted mutton bone was removed from the right pyriform fossa by hypopharyngoscopy under general anesthesia.
- 1.3(Of faeces) lodged in the intestine.More example sentences
- Stories about pounds of impacted fecal matter lodged in colon walls are myths.
- 2Strongly affected by something: the planners' lamentable failure to consult with the impacted populationMore example sentences
- Most of these effects are likely to be sublethal, but the implications for the long-term survival of populations inhabiting impacted areas can be profound.
More definitions of impactedDefinition of impacted in:
- The US English dictionary