Definition of impasto in English:
noun[mass noun] Art
1The process or technique of laying on paint or pigment thickly so that it stands out from a surface.
- In each, he runs a dazzling gamut of painterly techniques: glazing, impasto, scumbling, decalcomania, fluid linear strokes and so on.
- The landscape background of Elizabeth's portrait in particular is remarkably abstract, using strong colour and thick impasto.
- Characteristically he painted in thick impasto, mainly with a palette knife and generally in subdued ochre and umber tones.
1.1Paint applied thickly.
- The common element is colour: he uses layer upon layer of his impasto (oil, gesso and pigment) to create the finished result.
- As light strikes the painting at an angle, ridges of impasto reveal moments in the history of its making without disclosing what was buried in the process.
- Some portraits were painted with brushes first, and then a hard tool was used to blend the skin tones and add texture to the thick wax impasto.
Definition of impasto in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan