A plant of a genus that includes busy Lizzie and its many hybrids.
- Genus Impatiens, family Balsaminaceae
More example sentences
- Plant impatiens with begonias, coleus, ferns, fuchsias, hydrangeas, and lobelias.
- Warm-season annuals such as marigolds, impatiens and zinnias are adapted to bloom even during the hottest weather.
- Eat on the splendid terrace under the branches of plane, chestnut, maple, and acacia trees; the low stone walls are dressed with impatiens and hydrangeas (and the peonies were blooming in March).
modern Latin, from Latin, literally 'impatient' (because the capsules of the plant readily burst open when touched).
Definition of impatiens in:
- The US English dictionary