noun (plural impis)
- 1.1An armed band of Zulus involved in urban or rural conflict.More example sentences
- The impi, the redcoat regiment, and commando moved to the background; conflict had its locus in the mines, the streets, and on the farms.
- They knew, now, the Spartans at Thermopylae; and the sunken road at Shiloh; and the impis at Isandhlwana; and Chuikov's 62nd Army in the shattered factories on the Volga.
- That is, until the early 1800s, when the warrior Mzilikazi, who was ousted from KwaZulu-Natal by Shaka and his impis, settled in the area.
Zulu, 'regiment, armed band'.
More definitions of impiDefinition of impi in:
- The US English dictionary