Definition of implantation in English:
1The action of implanting or state of being implanted: the implantation of alien or artificial hearts [count noun]: hormone implantations
More example sentences
- Whether these alien chip implantations are part of another government project or are actually implanted by aliens is a whole discussion in itself.
- Worldwide there have so far been only some 50 implantations for OCD and 15 for depression, but the technology suggests a not-too-distant future when options other than drugs may be available to sufferers of serious mental illness.
- He suggested that I have knee implantations, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route.
1.1 Zoology & Medicine (In a mammal) the attachment of the fertilized egg or blastocyst to the wall of the womb at the start of pregnancy. Also called nidation.
- Gestation lasts two months, but the young may be born up to a year after mating because these otters employ delayed implantation of the fertilized egg in the uterus.
- The term referred to the embryo before its implantation in the womb.
- If fertilization occurs, progesterone supports implantation of the ovum and maintains the pregnancy.
late 16th century: from French, from implanter 'to implant'.
Definition of implantation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan