Definition of importunate in English:
Persistent, especially to the point of annoyance: importunate creditors
More example sentences
- And although the gulling of Benedick is wittily done - with an importunate boy messenger demanding a tip from the supposedly hidden protagonist - that of Beatrice lapses into farce as she is drenched by a garden hose.
- It is a sweet and pretty countenance that can become contorted into a Munchian shriek, a child's importunate obstinacy, a beleaguered housewife's exasperation, a hectoring soldier's grimace, or anything else.
- The larger goal is to encourage a strategy for thinking broadly about contentious issues so that the church maintains its intellectual and theological integrity and is not simply captivated by insistent or importunate voices.
persistent, insistent, tenacious, persevering, dogged, unremitting, unrelenting, tireless, indefatigable;
stubborn, intransigent, obstinate, obdurate;
- Example sentences
- Year by year the government grows more importunately parental, the citizenry more obediently childish.
- He was constantly being invited to the house, and then pressed importunately by all three to stay the night there.
- Still, the wretched creatures stand there, importunately demanding notice.
- Example sentences
- Unfortunately they fail to realize that love is something that cannot be asked for with importunity, nor will it come overnight.
- Thus Laertes warns Ophelia that she must ‘weigh what loss your honour may sustain / If with too credent ear you list his [Hamlet's] songs, / Or lose your heart, or your chaste treasure open / To his unmaster'd importunity.’
- Only let us exercise them: and though often turned away unanswered, let us remember the influence of importunity upon the unjust judge, and act accordingly.
Pronunciation: /ˌɪmpɔːˈtjuːnɪti/noun (plural importunities)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan