Grand and impressive in appearance: an imposing 17th-century manor house
More example sentences
- From the street, the flats present an imposing, clean-cut modern appearance, with their front-to-back pitched roof, western red cedar cladding and prominent balconies.
- A high domed roof and Ionic-Corinthian pillars give the General Post Office in Kolkata an imposing appearance.
- The two towers on both sides create an imposing impression, beginning from a square base that gradually rounds off at the top.
impressive, striking, arresting, eye-catching, dramatic, spectacular, staggering, stunning, awesome, awe-inspiring, remarkable, formidable;
splendid, grand, majestic, august, lofty, stately, dignified, resplendent
- Example sentences
- And at an imposingly athletic 6ft 3ins tall, he doesn't have to do much to command the attention of the room.
- These poems evoke outer and inner landscapes that have worn and changed with time but are still imposingly alive.
- Seated in a big chair there was a large man dressed imposingly in what looked like formal military costume.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: im|pos¦ing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.