Dispute the truth, validity, or honesty of (a statement or motive); call into question: the father does not impugn her capacity as a good mother
More example sentences
- They have also attacked the professor personally by impugning his motives and accusing him of opportunism.
- Now actually look at what we say, rather than impugning our motives.
- I really don't have a problem with the substance of his rejoinder, and I certainly did not mean to impugn his motives in my original post.
call into question, challenge, question, dispute, query, take issue with, impeach
- Example sentences
- I am, therefore, of the clear view that as a matter of English law, if unaffected by international considerations, the justices' decision is not impugnable as a matter of law in this court.
- The plaintiff does not submit that the conduct is impugnable otherwise than under the Ontario Human Rights Act.
Late Middle English (also in the sense 'assault, attack physically'): from Latin impugnare 'assail', from in- 'towards' + pugnare 'fight'.
Words that rhyme with impugnafternoon, attune, autoimmune, baboon, balloon, bassoon, bestrewn, boon, Boone, bridoon, buffoon, Cameroon, Cancún, cardoon, cartoon, Changchun, cocoon, commune, croon, doubloon, dragoon, dune, festoon, galloon, goon, harpoon, hoon, immune, importune, Irgun, jejune, June, Kowloon, lagoon, lampoon, loon, macaroon, maroon, monsoon, moon, Muldoon, noon, oppugn, picayune, platoon, poltroon, pontoon, poon, prune, puccoon, raccoon, Rangoon, ratoon, rigadoon, rune, saloon, Saskatoon, Sassoon, Scone, soon, spittoon, spoon, swoon, Troon, tune, tycoon, typhoon, Walloon
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: im¦pugn
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.