Definition of in the round in English:
1(Of sculpture) standing free with all sides shown, rather than carved in relief against a ground.
- Whether in reliefs or figures carved in the round, he achieved dramatic expression of emotion through the intense faces, emphatic gestures, and cascading draperies of his figures.
- The turn from relief to sculpture in the round led to radical changes in his work.
- Standing just 36 cm high, and carved in the round, the model for the Queen Charlotte's figurehead is a tour de force of the woodcarver's art, although its maker's name is as yet unknown.
1.1Fully and thoroughly; with all aspects shown: to understand social phenomena one must see them in the round
More example sentences
- The process must be viewed in the round, and not on a pupil by pupil basis, and chambers may well see an advantage in developing close relationships with pupils who plan to practise as employed barristers or to practise overseas.
- The question of exceptional circumstances must therefore be considered in the round.
- The adjudicator must look at all of the material in the round and see whether he is persuaded of the claim.
2(Of a theatrical performance) with the audience placed on at least three sides of the stage.
- Theatre, in the round, is not my favourite venue for an evening's entertainment but, after last night, I begin to realise how effective it can be when it is under control of a man who knows how to handle it to its maximum advantage
- The director presented one of the few instances in my life where theatre in the round has succeeded.
- The play was done in the company's Bingham Theatre, which is in the round, the hardest kind of space for a stage director to work in.
Definition of in the round in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan