- As a result of centuries of both deliberate and inadvertent plant breeding, the varieties used today have little resemblance with their wild ancestors.
- I made a mental note to leave more space between seedlings next time, although the effect I'd achieved by inadvertent crowding was lovely.
- Members of the defensive team need to be aware of an inadvertent or accidental tag of home plate by the catcher in such situations.
- Example sentences
- In each of those decisions he analysed the relevant facts with respect to the issues of delay, the reasons for delay, prejudice, and whether the failure to comply with the Rule was due to inadvertence rather than negligence.
- In the present case I think there was more than mere inadvertence or inattention.
- It was not speed but inadvertence that started the incident off.
- Example sentences
- By an habitual inadvertency we render our selves incapable of any serious and improving thought, till our minds themselves become as light and frothy as those things they are conversant about.
- We do not really understand the origins of biological information, but I suspect there is a lot of inadvertency in those early events and in the choice of which particular nucleic acids and amino acids were employed when life began.
- This ‘popping up’ is one kind of inadvertency, not stimulated by anything around me, as far as I could tell at the time.
Mid 17th century (earlier (late Middle English) as inadvertence): from in-1 'not' + Latin advertent- 'turning the mind to' (from the verb advertere).
advertisement from Late Middle English:
Latin advertere ‘turn towards’ is the base of advertise (Late Middle English) and advertisement. Advertisement was originally ‘a statement calling attention to something’; it started to be abbreviated to advert in the mid 19th century. If you do something inadvertently (mid 17th century) then you have not turned your mind towards it. verse is related.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.