- He kept coming out with moronic and inane comments.
- How foolish and childish and inane to think, and pray and hope, that all would justly right itself.
- It is Charles's job to appear in front of the cameras, grin and bear it and answer sometimes unbearably inane questions with whatever panache he can muster.
- Example sentences
- For some reason, this suddenly struck me as extremely funny, and I nearly burst out giggling inanely right there.
- I know what some of you are thinking: ‘Oh, he's far too serious, and all he does is waffle on inanely, without providing any decent links to interesting sites around the net.’
- Often I just nod inanely and mutter’ fine’ even when I am less than impressed.
- Example sentences
- Technique is a helpful ally, but if you lean a little too heavily on computer graphics and other catch gizmos, they blind a viewer with inaneness.
- I would question you further, to demonstrate the inaneness of your comment, but I deem it unworthy of my time.
Mid 16th century: from Latin inanis 'empty, vain'.
This is from Latin inanis ‘empty, vain’. The sense ‘silly, senseless’ dates from the beginning of the 19th century.
Words that rhyme with inaneabstain, appertain, arcane, arraign, ascertain, attain, Bahrain, bane, blain, brain, Braine, Cain, Caine, campaign, cane, cinquain, chain, champagne, champaign, Champlain, Charmaine, chicane, chow mein, cocaine, Coleraine, Coltrane, complain, constrain, contain, crane, Dane, deign, demesne, demi-mondaine, detain, disdain, domain, domaine, drain, Duane, Dwane, Elaine, entertain, entrain, explain, fain, fane, feign, gain, Germaine, germane, grain, humane, Hussein, Jain, Jane, Jermaine, Kane, La Fontaine, lain, lane, legerdemain, Lorraine, main, Maine, maintain, mane, mise en scène, Montaigne, moraine, mundane, obtain, ordain, Paine, pane, pertain, plain, plane, Port-of-Spain, profane, rain, Raine, refrain, reign, rein, retain, romaine, sane, Seine, Shane, Sinn Fein, skein, slain, Spain, Spillane, sprain, stain, strain, sustain, swain, terrain, thane, train, twain, Ujjain, Ukraine, underlain, urbane, vain, vane, vein, Verlaine, vicereine, wain, wane, Wayne
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: inane
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.