- A small edible Australasian fish which spends its first year in the sea, thereafter living mainly in fresh water. The young are caught as whitebait. Also called jollytail.
More example sentences
- Galaxias maculatus, family Galaxiidae
- Whatever happens, when the moment is right the mature inanga migrate downstream and spawn in grasses along river and estuary edges, covered by water at spring tides.
- Once a year, the Mokau would run thick with the inanga, attracting people wielding huge nets - and other predators.
- The whitebait catch consists primarily of the young of three species: inanga, koaro and banded kokopu.