- 1Not alive: inanimate objects like stonesMore example sentences
- One important distinction within the natural world is found in the fact that some natural substances are alive and others inanimate.
- The word ‘article’ means something inanimate which is not and never has been alive.
- I still have occasional empathy with inanimate objects.
- 1.1Showing no sign of life; lifeless: he was completely inanimate and it was difficult to see if he was breathingMore example sentences
- His limbs were inanimate, leaving motion only to his prickly black hair dancing to the silent hum of the ocean.
- And still the numbers and names of the dead ‘hammer through his mind, inanimate as nails’.
- In both photographs the inanimate face is shown in three-quarter profile facing right against a blank background.
- More example sentences
- Relentlessly, she stared at the phone sitting inanimately on her desk, willing it to ring because there was no way she'd sacrifice her own pride and call Chris herself.
- My eyes wandered to the phone sitting inanimately, as it should have been, on my nightstand right beside my picture frame, which held a collage of pictures from over the years.
- The two men had stood there for what must have been an hour, staring inanimately at the carcass that lay before them.
late Middle English: from late Latin inanimatus 'lifeless', from in- 'not' + animatus (see animate).