- 1Not in fact what it is said to be: the Holy Shroud of Turin is thought to have been proved inauthentic by radiocarbon datingMore example sentences
- Protestants traditionally rejected the Apocrypha precisely because these books were fabricated and contained inauthentic material, despite the fact that these books might have been useful for evangelism.
- Developers are turning new downtowns - flush with corporate chains like GAP and Starbucks - into a cartoonish, inauthentic version of American downtowns of yesteryear.
- Imagine a generation of American teenagers starting Kabuki theatre groups in their garages, and you have some idea of the problem - inauthentic doesn't even begin to describe it.
- 1.1Not genuinely belonging to a style or period: baroque harpsichord pieces played on the decidedly inauthentic modern SteinwayMore example sentences
- It implies that there are literary forms and styles, literary subjects and interests, that are likewise inauthentic and consequently inappropriate for ethnic writers.
- A possible reason for Saigon's weakness was made evident on departure, when we discovered that the restaurateurs had never been to Vietnam - thus explaining the slightly inauthentic food on offer.
- And yet, DeMille was routinely ignored, dismissed or devalued by the critics as old fashioned, inauthentic and disingenuous.
- 1.2Lacking sincerity: people close to death could not waste time being inauthenticMore example sentences
- That I might be one day disingenuous, inauthentic, think too much of myself, imagine that I know something more than somebody else knows and get run away - let this thing run away with me.
- But I started talking about my sex life because what is causing me problems in my work life is feeling dishonest, feeling inauthentic, and feeling insecure.
- Everyone is a caricature, manufactured and inauthentic.
- More example sentences
- For the most part, Heidegger would say we live inauthentically, and only in certain key moments is authentic existence a possibility.
- To exist in this way is to exist inauthentically.
- Another worry that many people have is that exercising virtue may require us to suppress our natural desires and inclinations and therefore to act inauthentically.
- More example sentences
- On the other hand, if a woman artist speaks of militarism, imperialism, war and capitalism, she is still frequently rapped on her knuckles for inauthenticity, for transgressing into areas beyond her area of competence.
- Of course there are levels of inauthenticity, from reference and emulation to willful trickery, parody and outright forgery.
- What makes this very funny book a very serious one is the way it uses the ongoing question of authenticity and inauthenticity to explore some basic problems of contemporary American culture.
More definitions of inauthenticDefinition of inauthentic in:
- The US English dictionary