- The opening of a manuscript, early printed book, or chanted liturgical text. Compare with explicit.More example sentences
- The resolution of the facsimile at high magnification is not clear enough to see the detail of the incipits, but it is fascinating to discover more about this shadowy publication.
- Manual and printed collections of incipits permit only one type of inquiry: by the first word.
- The scripts are accessed through forms which allow you to specify the manuscripts, feasts or incipits which interest you.
Latin, literally '(here) begins'.
More definitions of incipitDefinition of incipit in:
- The US English dictionary