- 1Comprise or contain as part of a whole: the price includes dinner, bed, and breakfast other changes included the abolition of the death penaltyMore example sentences
- The few articles of furniture included a narrow bed, a chair, and a desk in one corner.
- The fries were quite good, and they are included in the price of the dinner.
- On our honeymoon Shara was only allowed breakfast and dinner because lunch was not included in the price.
- 2Make part of a whole or set: we have included some hints for beginners in this sectionMore example sentences
- The FBI's documents included no hint as to how someone mistakenly put on can get himself removed.
- The Prime Minister hinted yesterday that legislation on airguns may be included in the Queen's Speech.
- The Supreme Court filings included only a hint of the nastiness and sleaze from the family fight.
- 2.1Allow (someone) to share in an activity or privilege: there were doubts as to whether she was included in the invitationMore example sentences
- There might be a cousin visiting and you have to decide whether you include him in the sample.
- I also seem to recall that Clarke said this encounter included him and other unnamed persons.
- He is included by name regardless of whether or not he has children.
- 2.2 (include someone out) • informal Specifically exclude someone from a group or activity.More example sentences
- Nor are you, and this is important for anybody who adheres to the EE Cummings adage ‘include me out’, constantly being pestered to join in with everything.
- If so, in the immortal words of Sam Goldwyn, ‘include me out!’
- If that's supposed to be Utopia, include me out.
late Middle English (also in the sense 'shut in'): from Latin includere, from in- 'into' + claudere 'to shut'.
Include has a broader meaning than comprise. In the sentence the accommodation comprises 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, and living room , the word comprise implies that there is no accommodation other than that listed. Include can be used in this way too, but it is also used in a non-restrictive way, implying that there may be other things not specifically mentioned that are part of the same category, as in the price includes a special welcome pack .