1An unknown person or thing.
- Emerson was a bel inconnu who ‘snickered at embarrassing moments.’
- In diary 3 she asks, ‘What name shall I give to thee, oh ami inconnu?’
2 (plural same) An edible predatory freshwater whitefish related to the salmon, native to Eurasian and North American lakes close to the Arctic Circle.
- Stenodus leucichthys, family Salmonidae
- Alt reported a Yukon River inconnu that had travelled nearly 1600 km upstream after being tagged, while Brown reported inconnu from the same river migrating 1700 km between the sea and freshwater spawning areas.
- Unlike other whitefishes, which feed on plankton and benthic invertebrates, inconnu are mainly piscivorous.
Early 19th century: French, literally 'unknown'.
Definition of inconnu in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.