- 1Not staying the same throughout: police interpretation of the law was often inconsistentMore example sentences
- The Cork referee, who was largely to blame for the incident due to inconsistent decisions throughout gave Gallagher the yellow as well.
- The present law is foolish, outdated, inconsistent, and ridiculous.
- Miller's inconsistent thinking comes through in many other ways.
- 1.1Acting at variance with one’s own principles or former behaviour: parents can become inconsistent and lacking in control over their childrenMore example sentences
erratic, changeable, unpredictable, variable, varying, changing, inconstant, unstable, irregular, fluctuating, unsteady, unsettled, uneven; self-contradictory, contradictory, paradoxical; capricious, fickle, flighty, whimsical, unreliable, undependable, mercurial, volatile, ever-changing, protean, chameleon-like, chameleonic• technical labile
- To the foreigners, however, Chinese behaviour in this respect seemed inconsistent and dangerously unpredictable.
- I also know that we fickle, inconsistent humans come equipped with varying abilities to perceive flavors.
- This man is incongruous, inconsistent and unreliable and is the latest saviour for the opposition.
- 2 (inconsistent with) Not compatible or in keeping with: he had done nothing inconsistent with his moralityMore example sentences
incompatible with, conflicting with, in conflict with, at odds with, at variance with, differing from, different to, in disagreement with, disagreeing with, not in accord with, contrary to, in opposition to, opposed to, irreconcilable with, not in keeping with, out of keeping with, out of place with, out of step with, not in harmony with, incongruous with, discordant with, discrepant with; antithetical to, diametrically opposed to
- At this scale, politics has to operate in a way which sometimes is incompatible and inconsistent with micro-scale politics.
- For instance, you might have covert tapes of conversations in which he has said different things inconsistent with his current proposed evidence.
- In my view, their evidence is completely incompatible and inconsistent with such a portrayal.
- More example sentences
- No method of contraception or disease prevention is effective when practiced incorrectly or inconsistently.
- Be consistent - do not behave ambiguously or inconsistently.
- But here again we can easily see how inconsistently such a definition is applied.