Definition of increase in English:
Pronunciation: /ɪnˈkriːs /
Become or make greater in size, amount, or degree: [no object]: car use is increasing at an alarming rate [with object]: we are aiming to increase awareness of social issues (as adjective increasing) the increasing numbers of students
More example sentences
- They had the choice of increasing the size of the dairy herd or changing the system completely.
- The operators are reducing the amount they pay out and increasing the amount they take in.
- The core of the movement has been increasing in size and in depth of knowledge.
improve, intensify, strengthen;
heighten, lengthen, extend, stretch, spread, widen;
add to, make larger, make bigger, make greater, augment, supplement, top up, build up, enlarge, expand, extend, raise, multiply, elevate, swell, inflate;
Pronunciation: /ˈɪŋkriːs /Back to top
A rise in the size, amount, or degree of something: an increase of 28.3 per cent [mass noun]: some increase in inflation is expected
More example sentences
- No money was available to cover pay rises, and if increases were given jobs could be lost.
- The union has asked for the increase to counter the rise in council tax and house prices in the city.
- This scenario would probably give rise to gradual increases in geothermal gradient.
on the increase
- Becoming greater, more common, or more frequent: fraud is on the increaseMore example sentences
- It's a disease that is more common than you might think - and it's on the increase.
- One of the reasons, of course, is that fraud is on the increase and that affects the rest of us who end up having to pay higher premiums as a result.
- It is not known whether it is on the increase or not, but it is being reported more frequently.
- Example sentences
- The beam from the inside was increasable, and he saw what the enemy's last sight would be if completely engulfed by the beam.
- The use of such increasable volume disposable bags provided with a collar is considerably less expensive than the cost of disposable or single-use bottles.
- Initial draft is 16.5 meters increasable to 17.5 meters.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan