- 1Impossible to believe: an almost incredible tale of triumph and tragedyMore example sentences
unbelievable, beyond belief, hard to believe, scarcely credible, unconvincing, far-fetched, strained, laboured, implausible, improbable, highly unlikely, not in the least likely, questionable, dubious, doubtful, inconceivable, unthinkable, unimaginable, impossible, astonishing, astounding, breathtaking, staggering, absurd, preposterous, phenomenal, extraordinary; unimagined, unheard of, fictitious, mythical, fanciful, fantastic, unrealistic; feeble, weak, unsound, thin, transparent, poor, tame, paltry, lame, trifling, shallow, inadequate, unsatisfactory, ineffectual, half-baked, pathetic• informal hard to swallow/take, tall, cock and bull
- So incredible did this appear, that we could hardly believe our eyes when we saw it.
- Many of the events that take place seem implausible, even at times incredible.
- But it is the way he frames that opposing suggestion which is utterly incredible.
- 2Difficult to believe; extraordinary: the noise from the crowd was incredibleMore example sentences
magnificent, wonderful, marvellous, spectacular, remarkable, phenomenal, prodigious, miraculous, sublime; breathtaking, dazzling, amazing, stunning, astounding, astonishing, awe-inspiring, staggering, extraordinary, unbelievable; formidable, imposing, impressive, supreme, great, awesome, superhuman; Scottish unco• informal fantastic, terrific, tremendous, stupendous, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, mind-boggling, mind-blowing, out of this world, unreal• literary wondrous• archaic awful
- What made the feat even more incredible is that he scored the hole in one on the ninth and he was playing the third at the time.
- Probably over the last four seasons they have been stronger, so to do what we did last year was an incredible feat.
- His portraits are incredible feats of mastery and the hardest of his constant commissions.
- 2.1 • informal Very good; wonderful: I was mesmerized: she looked so incredibleMore example sentences
- Being in such close contact with wild animals has also been an incredible source of wonder.
- The play encourages us to wonder about an incredible aspect of our history.
- Fuchs uses incredible speed and excellent defensive skills to pass many serves and dig a lot of attacks.
- More example sentences
- We should require evidence that would be overpowering in its effect on our judgment with reference to the incredibility of the statements made.
- It is the irrationality, the unacceptability, the incredibility of our faith that is its chief attraction and our chief asset, and to embrace that is to turn our critics on their heads, because they cannot accept those terms.
- Mick, Aston, and Davies may briefly fascinate through weirdness, permutations, and illogic, but their basic, unsatisfying incredibility does not end up standing for much.
late Middle English: from Latin incredibilis, from in- 'not'+ credibilis (see credible).