verb[with object] chiefly North American
Formally accuse of or charge with a crime: his former manager was indicted for fraud
More example sentences
- And a grand jury or the state attorney makes the decision as to whether or not to formally indict you with the charges.
- This one a Texas grand jury indicting him on a charge of money laundering, also in connection with this case.
- That means not only making sure there is strong evidence against the defendant before indicting him, but also making sure that he receives a fair trial.
charge with, accuse of, arraign for, take to court for, put on trial for, bring to trial for, prosecute for;
summons, cite, make accusations about, lay charges against, file charges against, prefer charges against;
North American impeach for
- Example sentences
- There are unconfirmed reports that several more Hague indictees were detained on Thursday.
- It seems unlikely that Indonesia will arrest those indictees and send them to Dili for trial.
- To date, there are 65 indictees, of whom 38 are currently in the tribunal and 34 in detention, with four provisionally released.
- Example sentences
- The relevant units shall protect the legitimate rights and interests of the reporters, indicters and informers according to law.
- Perhaps the indicters could argue that they were making an example?
Middle English endite, indite, from Anglo-Norman French enditer, based on Latin indicere 'proclaim, appoint', from in- 'towards' + dicere 'pronounce, utter'.
Words that rhyme with indictaffright, alight, alright, aright, bedight, bight, bite, blight, bright, byte, cite, dight, Dwight, excite, fight, flight, fright, goodnight, height, ignite, impolite, indite, invite, kite, knight, light, lite, might, mite, night, nite, outfight, outright, plight, polite, quite, right, rite, sight, site, skintight, skite, sleight, slight, smite, Snow-white, spite, sprite, tight, tonight, trite, twite, underwrite, unite, uptight, white, wight, wright, write
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.