noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- Of or denoting the radical —ONC8H6, derived from a hydroxy derivative of indole and present in indigotin.More example sentences
- The presence of ascorbate as a cosolute had little effect on visible emission, despite its demonstrated capacity to act as a strong reductant for the indoxyl radical.
- Organisms in the urine that possess indoxyl sulphatase activity metabolise urinary indoxyl sulphate to indigo leading to purple urine bag syndrome.
- Urinary organisms such as proteus, providencia, and klebsiella with indoxyl sulphatase activity metabolise indican to produce indigo, particularly in alkaline urine.
More definitions of indoxylDefinition of indoxyl in:
- The US English dictionary