noun[mass noun] Zoology
- The prevalence of dark-coloured varieties of animals (especially moths) in industrial areas where they are better camouflaged than paler forms.More example sentences
- A change in the direction of selective effect on a mutation is unusual, though there are some well-documented cases, such as industrial melanism in moths.
- Recent reports exaggerate the death of industrial melanism as an exemplar of natural selection.
- For 50 years, this interpretation of industrial melanism was just a theory, until an amateur lepidopterist went into the countryside to prove it.
More definitions of industrial melanismDefinition of industrial melanism in:
- The US English dictionary